Why does it matter?
- Our bones change as we age.
Bone is a residing tissue and is at all times in a means of eradicating mature bone tissue and forming new bone tissue. Earlier than most bone density is reached round our mid-20s to late 30s, this course of is balanced in favour of bone development and bone breakdown is way slower. This permits us to develop taller, stronger bones for assist and construction all through the lifespan. Nevertheless, after we attain peak bone mass, the stability begins to shift and bone degradation begins to happen at a sooner charge than bone formation.
It’s an inevitable a part of ageing. As our bones age and alter, our focus must be on sustaining the bone we now have. A very powerful purpose to take care of our bone well being is to guard in opposition to bone illnesses equivalent to osteoporosis and to stop fractures.
Threat Elements for Osteoporosis
- Gender – Oestrogen is crucial for bone retention, as ladies undergo menopause and oestrogen declines, bone loss is accelerated. Subsequently, ladies are at larger danger of osteoporosis than males, particularly as soon as they attain 54 years (see Determine 1).
- Age – The older you’re the larger your danger. As soon as your peak bone mass is reached, turnover will increase however bone just isn’t changed on the identical charge as it’s being misplaced, thus resulting in a decline in bone mass.
- Race – Caucasian and Asian ethnicities usually tend to develop osteoporosis.
- Genetics – Household historical past might point out low bone densities being an inherited trait. Genetics may additionally decide somebody’s bone construction and physique weight. Skinny, petite ladies are at larger danger of poor bone well being as they’ve much less to lose within the first place.
- Sedentary Way of life – Sedentary behaviour will increase probability of osteoporosis as train stimulates bone formation, calcium retention and responds nicely to bodily exercise that places stress on the bone equivalent to working or dancing.
- Demanding Way of life – A hectic way of life and/or insufficient sleep can exacerbate bone loss because the physique releases a stress hormone (cortisol) which promotes additional bone breakdown. Not getting sufficient sleep is an issue when the physique doesn’t have time to chill out and return cortisol ranges again to regular as a result of in the event that they keep elevated, bone loss will improve.
- Alcohol Consumption – Consuming greater than the really helpful servings of alcohol (see Alcohol Suggestions)
Wholesome Consuming for Wholesome Bones
A nutritious diet will be achieved when consuming quite a lot of meals from the 5 meals teams. A different weight loss plan as really helpful within the Australian Information to Wholesome Consuming, will present the mandatory meals to scale back danger of osteoporosis.
For extra data on wholesome consuming and the best way to keep a balanced weight loss plan go to Eat for Well being
Bone Wholesome Vitamins
Many vitamins contribute to construct wholesome, robust bones. These vitamins embody calcium, vitamin D, phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin A, fluoride, vitamin Okay and protein. Nevertheless, extra of 1 vitamin doesn’t substitute for much less of one other.
Calcium might be probably the most well-known mineral required for wholesome bones as it’s a main mineral that makes up our bone tissue. As soon as calcium is absorbed into the bloodstream it’s carried into the bone cells and deposits calcium as obligatory.
- Fish with edible bones, keep in mind to eat the bones
- Darkish leafy greens equivalent to spinach or kale
Vitamin D directs the mineralisation of bones. Mainly, it tells calcium what to do and the place to go within the physique. With out sufficient vitamin D, it isn’t doable to soak up sufficient calcium, whatever the quantity consumed. Satisfactory solar publicity can guarantee ample vitamin D ranges which is critical for calcium absorption. As we age, our pores and skin’s capacity to transform daylight to vitamin D reduces so it’s essential to get extra daylight. While our primary supply of Vitamin D is gained from daylight absorbed via the pores and skin, there are small quantities in some meals.
- Fortified meals equivalent to dairy merchandise, juices and cereals
- Egg yolks
- Oily fish equivalent to salmon, herring and sardines
Phosphorous is a significant mineral deposited within the bone construction to develop the bone’s density and total energy.
- Dairy Merchandise (milk, yoghurt and cheese)
Magnesium is one other mineral that’s deposited within the bone mineralisation course of.
- Nuts – cashews, almonds and walnuts
- Seeds – pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds
- Wholegrains – quinoa, bran cereal, wholemeal bread and brown rice
- Legumes – chickpeas
- Darkish Chocolate/Cocoa
Vitamin A assists in making bone proteins that contribute to bone mineralisation.
Meals Sources of Vitamin A
- Dairy Meals – Milk (fortified), butter, cream and cheese
Meals Sources of Beta Carotene
- Orange vegatables and fruits – carrots, candy potato, pumpkin, capsicum, tomato, mango, pawpaw, peaches and oranges.
- Inexperienced greens – spinach, broccoli, peas and inexperienced beans.
Fluoride performs a job in hardening the bone to stabilise it and keep its energy and integrity.
- Fluoridated water
Vitamin Okay assists in making bone proteins that contribute to bone mineralisation.
- Darkish leafy greens – kale, seaweed, Swiss chard, spinach and lettuce.
- Cruciferous greens – broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage.
Protein is a worthwhile nutrient for sustaining muscle mass and serving to restore joints after harm. Muscle tissue helps to assist the skeleton, keep stability/stability and stop falls.
- Animal meals – beef, pork, rooster, turkey, fish, eggs, yoghurt and milk.
- Legumes – chickpeas, lentils, pink kidney beans, soy beans and baked beans.
- Nuts and seeds – almonds, cashews, walnuts, linseeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.
For extra details about bone well being, head to Osteoporosis Australia
Kouris, A. (2011). Meals sources of vitamins: A prepared reckoner of macronutrients, micronutrients and phytonutrients.
Osteoporosis Australia. (2013). Threat elements for osteoporosis. Retrieved from http://www.osteoporosis.org.au/about/about-osteoporosis/risk-factors/