2 Dezign / Flower Council Holland
The banana plant is the right houseplant to deliver a contact of the tropics into your property.
Originating from South-East Asia and the South Pacific, the banana is among the oldest cultivated crops. There are greater than 400 species worldwide of this unique plant from the Musaceae household, all characterised by massive, smooth-edged leaves and a barely wavy edge.
If you’d like a banana leaf plant (or two) in your house, comply with these need-to-know suggestions with some assist from the plant consultants at The Pleasure of Crops.
1. When shopping for a banana plant, take a look at the pot dimension, the peak of the plant and the variety of vegetation per pot. The leaves of a banana plant are fragile – they’re skinny and tear simply – so have to be sleeved to be able to forestall leaf injury and chilly injury.
2. Look out for pests and ailments: aphids and scale bugs are the most typical, whereas sticky clear honeydew is an indication that there are ‘beasties’ dwelling on the plant. And, if circumstances are too dry in your house, your banana plant may have crimson spider mite, too.
3. Banana vegetation like heat circumstances – they can’t cope properly with temperatures under 12-15°C. And provides them loads of daylight however keep away from inserting in direct daylight.
4. Preserve the soil moist, however watch out when watering to not get the soil too moist as a result of this will trigger the basis to rot, which finally disrupts the plant’s progress. You must by no means let the plant stand in water so guarantee adequate drainage.
5. The banana plant has a restricted vary however Musa ‘Dwarf Cavendish’ and Musa ‘Tropicana’ are the most typical varieties. The scale of dwarf banana bushes makes them appropriate for dwelling rooms.
6. Houseplant meals as soon as a fortnight will maintain the banana plant sturdy and exquisite.
7. If it is thriving and getting too massive, take away a few of the decrease stems in order that it produces recent aspect shoots.
8. As a houseplant, the banana tree not often bears fruit. The Cavendish is an important species for edible bananas, however be warned, it typically takes greater than three years for the primary flowers to seem on the plant which is required for the fruit. To get a banana tree to flower, maintain it rising with loads of mild and excessive temperatures, equivalent to a conservatory. The plant could then flower and produce fruit after three to 4 years.
9. Your banana leaf plant might be positioned within the backyard in a sunny, sheltered spot as a container plant from mid-April to mid-October. Enable it to overwinter indoors, and permit it to steadily acclimatise to vivid daylight within the spring to forestall scorching.
10. Wish to create an indoor jungle? For a tropical association, place bromeliads and orchids under your banana plant.
Like this text? Signal as much as our publication to get extra articles like this delivered straight to your inbox.
This content material is created and maintained by a 3rd get together, and imported onto this web page to assist customers present their e-mail addresses. You might be able to discover extra details about this and related content material at piano.io